Food It Forward FAQ
Thanks for your Interest in Food It Forward. If you don't find the answer to your question here, please reach out to info@fooditforwardDC.com, and we'll be happy to help.
- What is Food It Forward?
- Food It Forward is a collaboration between a small group of restaurants to drive business (to save restaurant jobs) and get great food to those who need it most during the COVID-19 crisis.
- Are these restaurant partners making money?
- Yes. Participating restaurants are taking a smaller-than-usual margin to encourage great customer demand, continued employment for their staffs, and still making excellent food for those most affected.
- Is this a tax deductible donation?
- No. In effect, you are making a delivery order, but you're delivering for an individual or family that desperately needs your help during the COVID-19 crisis.
- Why aren't there more restaurants?
- Our top priorities are the safety of the restaurant teams and maintaining an extremely hygienic food safety process to protect those receiving the food. As such, the Food It Forward approach requires partners with rigorous cleanliness standards, multiple production kitchens, and the ability to break up team members into several strictly separated teams. While not all restaurants can meet those requirements, we strongly encourage you to order take-out, delivery, or buy a gift card from ALL restaurants, as they're all facing the same extremely difficult conditions right now.
- Who is receiving the food?
- Food It Forward partners with Martha's Table and MedStar Health to give food to those who need it most:
- Martha's Table is a nonprofit, serving the Greater DC community for 40 years with the belief that every Washingtonian should have the opportunity to thrive. Martha's Table supports strong children, strong families, and strong communities by fighting for food justice and increasing access to healthy meals and fresh produce for over 15,000 residents. By working closely with Martha's Table, our restaurant partners are able to focus exclusively on their teams and quality food while adding additional food access opportunities to the distribution process that Martha's Table already has in place. To learn more about Martha's Table and current opportunities to volunteer or donate directly visit: https://marthastable.org/covid19/
- MedStar Health has a mission: promote the good health of residents of their communities, especially those who face barriers to quality care. As a not-for-profit, they reinvest all their net revenues to advance our mission of caring. Each year they provide millions of dollars of uncompensated care to the uninsured and under-insured. Their healthcare professionals work to improve the health of the communities in countless ways: by hosting free screening and support groups, operating health clinics, making house calls to the elderly and educating children in schools, to name just a few. They partner with community-based initiatives to support a wide range of causes through expertise, dollars and volunteer hours. Learn more here: https://www.medstarhealth.org/mhs/about-medstar/